Sunday, August 12, 2012

Post Olympic blues, and old time baby blues

I'm watching the end of the Men's Marathon right now and very soon the Olympics will be over for another four years.  The Ugandan won.  I've loved the events that have been conducted in the streets of London.  The old girl has scrubbed up very nicely.  The Brits did a fine job .... and their athletes have been unbeatable - for the first time ever.

Like many Australians, I've been a little disappointed in our team's performance this time round.  Some of the athletes have been utterly devastated by their perceived failure in bringing home a gold medal.  I felt like weeping with him when the defending Olympic 10 metre diving champion missed his last dive in the semis and dropped right out of contention.  One mistake and it was all over for him.
 
Unfortunately, there will be some people will be all too eager to criticise the gold medal shortfall when they come home.

I think that with only a population of 20 million, Oz has been punching above her weight for years.  It was only a matter of time before the rest of the world was going to catch up.   A top 10 finish is still doing very well, all things considered. ( Hungary came 9th!)  

What has been great about this Olympics has been how no one country has totally dominated.   Of course the US and Russia have done well, but it was thrilling to watch Cyprus' first ever medal winner cross the line - almost as good as witnessing the Jamaican sprinters burn up the athletics track or the the Kahazakstani cyclists winning six gold medals.

Of course, the ParaOlympics will be starting next week - and that is inspiring for a whole bunch of other reasons.  

Earlier today it occurred to me how a couple of Olympics have marked several milestones in my life.  I remember missing the Opening Ceremony of the Seoul Olympics -1988 - twice.  I missed it the first time because it was only a few days after my boys were born 8 weeks early and I was spending all of my time in the special care nursery - and I  missed the replay too - even though I did plan to watch it.

 I won't ever forget that day.  The paediatrician came into my hospital room, turned off the TV, sat on the end of my bed (this is NEVER a good sign - let me tell you)  and told me that Chris (or Twin 1 as he referred to him)  had something wrong with his heart.  Pretty much the only Olympic event I recall seeing after that was the Mens' 100 metre final a week or so later ( Remember? Ben Johnson won, then was disqualified  It was still a brilliant race.)  Everything else was a blur.

The second event was more recent.  Fast forward to the Beijing Olympics - 2008.  The day of that particular Opening Ceremony  was also the day I started Radiotherapy for my bout with DCIS.  Of course that means that this time next year I will be 5 years clear- and I don't care if that one is not marked by an Olympics either.

No comments:

Post a Comment