Sunday, October 25, 2009

Flying sucks

I've decided that flying really sucks - and it's not just because I live on an island miles from anywhere.

Regardless of the length of the trip, I've found I spend way too much time in transit, I forever seem to be waiting in queues, in lounges, on aircraft and buses. You can just about write off the whole day when flying. I find the whole thing tedious in the extreme.

But I have learned some useful things from this last trip.

1 Get a morning flight if you can, no later than midday anyway. There will be fewer delays (since delays tend to accumulate over the day) and with hotel checkouts at 10 or 11, there's less faffing around, stowing luggage etc.

2 Use luggage with wheels - including your hand luggage if you can, or reduce it down to the barest minimum. I'm thinking a small backpack might be the way to go.

3 Get yourself a lairy label or something to make your luggage stand out from all of the other black fabric suitcase on the carousel. My current bag has a bunch of multi-coloured metallic curling ribbon. It looks like it's been to a wild party.


Since my return to Launceston, I lashed out on a new piece of luggage. It's a real hybrid duffle/suitcase and backpack. It's not too heavy unladen and has a reasonable capacity. I have high hopes for it; it will be just the thing for traveling on my own - as I plan to do some day.... one day.

I may dislike flying, but it will be a necessary evil if I am ever to meet the people or see some of the places my writing has led me.

In the meantime, it's back to work tomorrow. Nose to the grindstone and all

No comments:

Post a Comment